noun (plural raspberries)
1An edible soft fruit related to the blackberry, consisting of a cluster of reddish-pink drupelets.
- Fresh soft fruits such as raspberries may be incorporated in the mixture or served with it.
- To serve, arrange the red fingerling bananas, blackberries, raspberries, dehydrated mangoes, and Brazil nuts on a large plate.
- Gently mix the blackberries, raspberries, blueberries and caster sugar and arrange in a buttered one-litre pie or gratin dish.
2The plant which yields the raspberry, forming tall stiff prickly stems or ‘canes’.
- The borders are pretty much full of the usual sort of things: cherry trees, broom, hawthorn, raspberries, rhubarb, pyracantha, clematis, birch, and like so.
- Woody plants including gooseberries, raspberries and even roses may suffer from dieback after their leaves wilt and shrivel, changing to brown.
- Plant blackcaps as far away as possible from red raspberries or other cultivated brambles, and remove existing wild berries if practical, or your new plants may soon pick up diseases.
3 [mass noun] A deep reddish-pink colour: [as modifier]: a raspberry tweed jacket
More example sentences
- Deep raspberry red in colour, nearer to a shade you might associate with red wine than what you might expect of a rose.
- Shell pink, raspberry pink, purple, mauve and turquoise are just some of the colours that will dominate.
- Forget the pale shades of summer, autumn demands fire and passion, so be bold and brighten up your mood by adding hot pink, raspberry or deep plum shades, all with vinyl gloss, available from Estee Lauder counters this weekend.
4 informal A sound made with the tongue and lips, expressing derision or contempt: Clare blew a raspberry
From raspberry tart, rhyming slang for 'fart'
More example sentences
- Rhea blew a raspberry with her tongue and fiddled with the fabric she was lying on.
- And it stuck its tongue out and blew a raspberry.
- Gaffle stuck his tongue out at Pintom and blew a raspberry.
Early 17th century: from dialect rasp, abbreviation of obsolete raspis 'raspberry' (also used as a collective), of unknown origin, + berry.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: rasp|berry
Definition of raspberry in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.