- A large New Zealand tree of the myrtle family, with crimson flowers and hard red timber.
More example sentences
- Genus Metrosideros, family Myrtaceae: several species, in particular M. robusta
- We were too early to see the rata in flower but clematis was in bloom at many points along the track.
- The rata trees in flower, the birds, the brushing of wet fern against my bare legs as I climbed over ridges on rainy days, chasing wild pigs.
- If you are lucky enough to visit in the summer when the rata is flowering the deep green vegetation is brightened by patches of rich red.
late 18th century: from Maori.
More definitions of rataDefinition of rata in:
- The US English dictionary