Definition of rath yatra in English:
1A ceremonial procession centred around a chariot carrying a holy image, specifically the procession of Jagannatha.
- Jagannath rath yatra (Jagannath chariot march) scheduled from July 12, however, would not be cancelled.
- It was under the leadership of Advani in 1989 that the controversial rath yatra (motorised chariot journey) for the construction of a Ram temple in Ayodhya replacing the historic Babri Masjid was taken out.
- Advani still compares the rath yatra to Mahatma Gandhi's Dandi salt march.
1.1(In India) a political demonstration consisting of a convoy of motor vehicles travelling over a long distance: the party warned against a bid to stop the rath yatra
More example sentences
- Maybe he'll take out a rath yatra to rally support for the troops.
- I have publicly condemned our politicians' rath yatras and their pathetic lack of acknowledgment of any responsibility for the destruction of the Babri Masjid, for the same reason.
- Those who are following a communal agenda and are trying to influence the people through their rath yatras are sadly mistaken.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia