1A ceremonial procession centred around a chariot carrying a holy image, specifically the procession of Jagannatha.
- Jagannath rath yatra (Jagannath chariot march) scheduled from July 12, however, would not be cancelled.
- It was under the leadership of Advani in 1989 that the controversial rath yatra (motorised chariot journey) for the construction of a Ram temple in Ayodhya replacing the historic Babri Masjid was taken out.
- Advani still compares the rath yatra to Mahatma Gandhi's Dandi salt march.
1.1(In India) a political demonstration consisting of a convoy of motor vehicles travelling over a long distance: the party warned against a bid to stop the rath yatra
More example sentences
- Maybe he'll take out a rath yatra to rally support for the troops.
- I have publicly condemned our politicians' rath yatras and their pathetic lack of acknowledgment of any responsibility for the destruction of the Babri Masjid, for the same reason.
- Those who are following a communal agenda and are trying to influence the people through their rath yatras are sadly mistaken.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: rath yatra
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.