noun (plural rationes decidendi /ˌratɪˈəʊniːz/)Law
- The rule of law on which a judicial decision is based.More example sentences
- Courts are bound by principles of law, the ratio decidendi of cases.
- The former are described as being the ratio decidendi (reasons for the decision).
- If property suddenly became available all over the country many of the rationes decidendi of the past would be quite inappropriate.
Latin, literally 'reason for deciding'.
More definitions of ratio decidendiDefinition of ratio decidendi in:
- The US English dictionary