Definition of rattan in English:
1 [mass noun] The thin jointed stems of a palm, used to make furniture: [as modifier]: a rattan armchair
More example sentences
- The color scheme extends to the attached sunroom with its red rattan settee and yellow armchairs, which have kick pleats in plaid.
- In the United States, Indonesian-made rattan furniture or garments are not inexpensive.
- Hambali stayed here for two months, rarely leaving the guesthouse, apparently enjoying the views from his host's rattan armchair over Boeung Kak Lake.
1.1 [count noun] A length of rattan used as a walking stick.
- What would the legal arguments be on either side if a Committee member wanted to challenge the legality of the use of the rattan on a 17 year old?
2The tropical Old World climbing palm which yields rattan, with long, spiny, jointed stems.
- Genus Calamus, family Palmae
- As a final touch, he extended the texture of the rattan with grassy sprigs, as well as a six-foot bamboo arrangement in the corner of the bedroom.
- Two samples of African rattans were supplied as living seeds for propagation by Dr T. Sunderland from wild plants in Cameroon (voucher at K, the herbarium of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew).
- Living fibres have also been reported in 5-year-old rattan palms (Rhapis excelsa, Calamus axillaris).
Mid 17th century: from Malay rotan, probably from raut 'pare, trim'.
Words that rhyme with rattanAberfan, Adrianne, an, Anne, artisan, astrakhan, ban, began, Belmopan, bipartisan, bran, can, Cannes, Cézanne, Cheyenne, clan, courtesan, cran, dan, Dayan, Diane, divan, élan, Elan, fan, flan, foreran, Fran, Friedan, Gell-Mann, gran, Han, Hunan, Ivan, Jan, Japan, Jinan, Joanne, Kazan, Klan, Kordofan, Lacan, Lausanne, Leanne, Limousin, Louvain, man, Mann, Marianne, Milan, Moran, nan, Oran, outran, outspan, Pan, panne, parmesan, partisan, pavane, pecan, Pétain, plan, Pusan, ran, rataplan, Rosanne, Sagan, Saipan, saran, scan, scran, sedan, span, spick-and-span, Spokane, Suzanne, Tainan, tan, than, tisane, trepan, van, vin, Wuhan, Xian, Yerevan, Yunnan, Zhongshan
Definition of rattan in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.