A burrowing bivalve mollusc with a long slender shell which resembles the handle of a cut-throat razor. Also called jackknife clam or razor clam in North America.
- Family Solenidae: Ensis and other genera
More example sentences
- A movement by a razor shell catches my attention.
- The middle regions of the beach are surf-beaten, but the sheltered southern corner, at low tide, reveals fine sands thickly populated with razor shells, tellins, surf clams and sand mason worms.
- Other prey, such as bristle worms, razor shells and tellins are also taken when available.
Definition of razor shell in:
- The US English dictionary