Definition of razorfish in English:
noun (plural same or razorfishes)
1A small fish of the Indo-Pacific, with a long flattened snout and a laterally compressed body encased in thin bony shields that meet to form a sharp ridge on the belly.
- Family Centriscidae: several genera and species, including Aeoliscus strigatus, which swims in a head-down vertical posture
- The pièce de résistance, though, was a gargantuan platter of seafood overflowing with everything from lobster all the way down to razorfish.
2A small brightly coloured wrasse with a steeply sloping forehead, living chiefly in coastal waters of the western Atlantic.
- Genus Hemipteronotus, family Labridae: several species
- Juvenile rockmover wrasse and dwarf scorpionfish, ghost pipefish, razorfish, stonefish, mantis shrimps, snake eels, and the flamboyant anemone hermit crab are frequently seen in this area.
- Today virtually every household has a deep freeze where packets of sandeel, mackerel strip, crab and razorfish can be kept from the end of one season till the beginning of the next.
- Worm tipped off with razorfish splints down each side and bound with elastic thread is a cracking bait.
3 another term for razor shell.
- Also try tippets of razorfish, cockle, mussel and especially small tellin clams found after storms washed up on the beaches.
- These are usually razorfish, mussels and queen cockles.
- High mackerel, herring, mussel and razorfish are all good, but the best by far is a dried black lugworm.
Definition of razorfish in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan