Definition of razorfish in English:
noun (plural same or razorfishes)
1A small fish of the Indo-Pacific, with a long flattened snout and a laterally compressed body encased in thin bony shields that meet to form a sharp ridge on the belly.
- Family Centriscidae: several genera and species, including Aeoliscus strigatus, which swims in a head-down vertical posture
- The pièce de résistance, though, was a gargantuan platter of seafood overflowing with everything from lobster all the way down to razorfish.
2A small brightly coloured wrasse with a steeply sloping forehead, living chiefly in coastal waters of the western Atlantic.
- Genus Hemipteronotus, family Labridae: several species
- Juvenile rockmover wrasse and dwarf scorpionfish, ghost pipefish, razorfish, stonefish, mantis shrimps, snake eels, and the flamboyant anemone hermit crab are frequently seen in this area.
- Today virtually every household has a deep freeze where packets of sandeel, mackerel strip, crab and razorfish can be kept from the end of one season till the beginning of the next.
- Worm tipped off with razorfish splints down each side and bound with elastic thread is a cracking bait.
3 another term for razor shell.
- Also try tippets of razorfish, cockle, mussel and especially small tellin clams found after storms washed up on the beaches.
- These are usually razorfish, mussels and queen cockles.
- High mackerel, herring, mussel and razorfish are all good, but the best by far is a dried black lugworm.
Definition of razorfish in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.