- 1 (also nuclear reactor) An apparatus or structure in which fissile material can be made to undergo a controlled, self-sustaining nuclear reaction with the consequent release of energy.More example sentences
- The difference between an atomic bomb and a nuclear reactor is in the speed and control of the release of energy.
- The nuclear reactor releases energy in the form of heat which is used to generate steam, and the steam to generate electricity.
- Commercial nuclear power reactors are clearly terror targets, particularly those near airports.
- 1.1A container or apparatus in which substances are made to react chemically, especially one in an industrial plant.More example sentences
- The dehydrogenation and selective hydrogenation reactors were run continuously and the product collected.
- Solar receivers absorb this concentrated solar radiation and deliver it, in the form of high-temperature heat, to a chemical reactor wherein an endothermic reaction results in the production of solar fuels.
- A green chemistry example concerns the transfer of raw polymer resin into reactors.
- 2 Medicine A person who shows an immune response to a specific antigen or an adverse reaction to a drug or other substance.More example sentences
- There is an urgent need to redefine the criteria for revaccination in abortive reactors who show preliminary response stages but do not develop a scar.
- Production of IL - 12, IL - 4 and IL-IO was similar in TB patients and healthy tuberculin reactors.
- The response of the eight reactors to the inhaled bronchodilator given at 6 hours (the end of the observation time) is shown in Figure 4.
More definitions of reactorDefinition of reactor in:
- The US English dictionary