- A collection of people who gather in a row to greet guests as they arrive at a formal social event: the guests step forward to shake hands with the bridal party on the receiving lineMore example sentences
- Once the procession arrives at the Ball there will be a receiving line of various dignitaries greeting officers and guests at the door.
- Entering the VIP reception on the arm of IIE board chair George Donnelly, she worked her way down the receiving line greeted by Susan Baker, Edward Djerejian, Dr. Michael DeBakey and others.
- President Thabo Mbeki and President Bill Clinton chat to entertainer Stevie Wonder and actor Morgan Freeman in a receiving line of guests at a state dinner for Mbeki at the White House in Washington.
More definitions of receiving lineDefinition of receiving line in:
- The US English dictionary