Conquer again: Toledo was reconquered by the Christian forces in 1085
More example sentences
- They were pawns in the Vatican's plan to reconquer Scotland and reinstate the regime of the cardinals, the bishops and the priests.
- However, he was also committed to reconquering his father's lands in Normandy, Anjou and especially in Poitou.
- On 28 May the port was successfully reconquered by French and Norwegian troops, and the German forces under Maj-General Eduard Dietl were pushed back towards the Swedish frontier.
- Example sentences
- Moreover, among what until 1945 could be termed the Polish ruling class, there were many who dreamed not simply of an independent Poland, but of a reconquest of the old Polish Empire, preferably by means of a heroic cavalry charge at sunset.
- The nearest enemy territory was Belgium, and it was assumed that the population there, resentful of the Austrian reconquest of 1790, would welcome freedom-proclaiming French troops with open arms.
- The Armada was sighted off the Scilly Isles on 19 July 1588: the objective was the conquest of England, which would itself assure the reconquest of the Netherlands.
Definition of reconquer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.