(also rectilineal /-nɪəl/)
Definition of rectilinear in English:
1Contained by, consisting of, or moving in a straight line or lines: a rectilinear waveform
More example sentences
- The former is seen in the rectilinear and symmetrical designs, including some carvings and moldings that are formed with characteristic Regency strapwork, grotesques, and classical motifs from antiquity.
- A number of paintings from 1963 utilize single ellipses against rectilinear backgrounds of contrasting hues.
- Straight lines meet curved; rectilinear bases rise to occasional arches and on up to golden domes.
1.2 Photography (Of a wide-angle lens) corrected as much as possible, so that straight lines in the subject appear straight in the image.
- The lenses were reported as the largest ever ground for photographic work-the telescopic rectilinear lens being 11 feet equivalent focus.
- A software algorithm corrects the side view for magnification distortion and converts the image to rectilinear coordinates.
- Example sentences
- Then, in the mid-1980s, a group of architects emerged whose work boldly departed from rectilinearity, creating a style variously labeled as expressionist, neomodernist, organic, or deconstructivist.
- In any case, boldness of design and rectilinearity are characteristics of the quilts; and for some quilters, corduroy called forth their best efforts.
- Certainly his woodworking echoed a number of its tenets on construction, such as simplicity, honesty, rectilinearity, and functionality.
- Example sentences
- They agreed, however, that whatever it is, light is propagated rectilinearly with two transverse components of variable intensity.
Definition of rectilinear in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan