noun (plural rectos)
- A right-hand page of an open book, or the front of a loose document. Contrasted with verso.More example sentences
- However, it was very much the habit to place the blank sheet as the recto (looking at the opening of a book, the right leaf), with the miniature on the verso (looking at the open book, the left leaf).
- Take for example the important sheet from Edinburgh that shows a Drowning of Leander on the recto and The Battle of the Amazons on the verso.
- This is parallel translation with the Anglo-Saxon on the verso and the translation on the recto.
early 19th century: from Latin recto (folio) 'on the right (leaf)'.
More definitions of rectoDefinition of recto in:
- The US English dictionary