1(Especially of a person or effigy) lying down: recumbent statues
More example sentences
- Where there was an effigy, a recumbent figure showing the deceased dead or sleeping was most common.
- Neither the Greeks nor the Romans memorialized their dead in the form of full-scale recumbent effigies.
- He laughed aloud in wonder, and smiled benevolently down at the recumbent figure in his lap.
A type of bicycle designed to be ridden lying almost flat on one’s back.
- The couple, who are travelling on a tandem recumbent tricycle worth almost $10,000, are at the half-way mark of their journey which started at Queensland's Big Pineapple.
- Models ranged from fold-up commuter bikes to electrically assisted bikes, from the family-sized four-seater ZEM bike to the Radius recumbent bike, where the cyclist lies back to pedal.
- First, I spend more time at the YMCA pedalling a stationery recumbent bike and watching the television breakfast news.
- Example sentences
- The main clinical signs were depression, inappetence, huddling together, ataxia and recumbency.
- Spells are brief in duration with prompt recovery on recumbency.
- The pain is exacerbated by inspiration or recumbency and relieved to some extent by leaning forward.
Mid 17th century: from Latin recumbent- 'reclining', from the verb recumbere, from re- 'back' + a verb related to cubare 'to lie'.
Words that rhyme with recumbentincumbent
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: re|cum¦bent
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.