- A migratory butterfly which has dark wings marked with red bands and white spots.
More example sentences
- Genus Vanessa, subfamily Nymphalinae, family Nymphalidae: several species, in particular V. atalanta
- Not just the usual cabbage whites this year, but tortoiseshells, red admirals, painted ladies and peacock butterflies too.
- All the way we were accompanied by electric blue and emerald green damsel flies and along the banks we spotted red admirals, painted ladies, peacocks, and mere common butterflies.
- She was lying in the dust beneath a white buddleia, staring straight ahead, sniffing at red admirals and painted ladies as they fluttered past.
More definitions of red admiralDefinition of red admiral in:
- The US English dictionary