- A deer with a rich red-brown summer coat that turns dull brownish-grey in winter, the male having large branched antlers. It is native to North America, Eurasia, and North Africa.
More example sentences
- Cervus elaphus, family Cervidae. Compare with wapiti
- During the past 10 years, an average of 35 red deer, 50 roe deer, and 100 wild boar were hunted annually.
- They preyed on roe deer, red deer, and wild boar, but were also much loathed and dreaded for their depredations against livestock, especially sheep.
- My first encounter with a rare herd of red deer wintering in the Austrian Alps came after a four-hour ascent on skis through snowed-in forests and steep terrain.
More definitions of red deerDefinition of red deer in:
- The US English dictionary