- A red flag with the Union Jack in the top corner next to the flagstaff, flown by British-registered ships.More example sentences
- As well as being the senior ensign of the King's ships, the red ensign was also worn by merchant ships.
- The use of special red ensigns with their badge in the fly has in the past been authorised for a number of yacht clubs, but it is now the policy not to extend this privilege, except in the most exceptional circumstances.
- The idea of adding the EU's emblem to the red ensign was rejected in a vote in Strasbourg on tighter controls on maritime safety.
More definitions of red ensignDefinition of red ensign in:
- The US English dictionary