Definition of red herring in English:
1A dried smoked herring, which is turned red by the smoke.
- In the next few decades these kippers almost completely took over the market from the old salty red herrings.
- Many a person has gone away smiling after eating one of Kipperman's red herring, bloaters or kippers.
2A clue or piece of information which is or is intended to be misleading or distracting: the argument about women’s choices is largely a red herring
[So named from the practice of using the scent of red herring in training hounds]
More example sentences
- Often they're false clues, red herrings.
- Most of the film is spent working very hard to build suspense and distract the audience with red herrings that stop being effective early on.
- It is a quest for the truth that drops vital clues and red herrings along the way.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.