noun[mass noun] chiefly North American
- Used in reference to financial deficit or debt: he voted for many of the projects that have left the state awash in red inkMore example sentences
- Piling on more red ink to the existing federal budget deficit and the national debt will do both long and short term harm to our economy.
- Last month, across the whole of the UK, consumers added £10 bn of red ink to their personal balance sheets.
- It accounts for £4m of revenues as it attempts to shore up a balance sheet dripping in red ink.
More definitions of red inkDefinition of red ink in:
- The US English dictionary