- A raccoon-like mammal with thick reddish-brown fur and a bushy tail, native to high bamboo forests from the Himalayas to southern China. Also called lesser panda, cat-bear.
More example sentences
- Ailurus fulgens; it is variously placed with the raccoons or bears, or in its own family (Ailurudae)
- Recent DNA analysis indicates that giant pandas are more closely related to bears and red pandas are more closely related to raccoons.
- Among the world's botanically richest sites, the sanctuaries are also home to other endangered animals such as the red panda and the snow leopard.
- The red panda lives in the bamboo forests of the Himalayan and Heng-Duan Mountains.
More definitions of red pandaDefinition of red panda in:
- The US English dictionary