- The displacement of spectral lines towards longer wavelengths (the red end of the spectrum) in radiation from distant galaxies and celestial objects. This is interpreted as a Doppler shift which is proportional to the velocity of recession and thus to distance. Compare with blue shift.More example sentences
- In 1929 Edwin Hubble's systematic observations of other galaxies confirmed the red shift.
- This effect is known as the gravitational red shift.
- This red shift should result in different relative emissions at different wavelengths.
More definitions of red shiftDefinition of red shift in:
- The US English dictionary