- A US state that predominantly votes for or supports the Republican Party. Compare with blue state.More example sentences
- President Bush was a liability, even for a Republican in a tomato red state like Virginia.
- Last summer a legislative committee in Florida, another red state, put insurance executives, lawyers and medical lobbyists under oath in an effort to get to the truth about malpractice costs.
- But it is clear that Senate Democrats simply cannot afford to have a leader who hails from a hardcore red state.
from the typical colour used to represent the Republican Party on maps during elections.
More definitions of red stateDefinition of red state in:
- The US English dictionary