Definition of redaction in English:
1The process of editing text for publication: what was left after the redaction would be virtually useless
More example sentences
- I said I felt strongly that this was a matter of liaison sensitivity that justified redaction (editing).
- Goldstein brings together the fruit of extensive research and massive erudition in multiple disciplines, wielding the tools of source, genre, redaction, and textual criticism with masterful force.
- Third, I would argue once more that redaction and narrative criticisms are the friend rather than the foe of historical verification.
1.1The censoring or obscuring of part of a text for legal or security purposes.
- The brief is riddled with the black boxes lawyers call redactions.
- This year, MPs were given copies of their files, already marked with the Commons authorities changes, to suggest their own redactions.
- The Sunday Telegraph, which has access to the files without redactions, can provide the full picture.
1.2 [count noun] A version of a text, such as a new edition or an abridged version: the author himself never chose to establish a definitive redaction
More example sentences
- Established by the monk Tao-hsüan, this school began by establishing which of the several redactions of the monastic regulations that had been translated into Chinese would become the standard.
- Later redactions of saints' lives tended to omit historical details that were no longer easily understood and to embellish the text with more outlandish miracle stories.
- Both redactions of the original play make Act I, Scene 2 of vital importance in the development of the relations of power between Caliban, Prospero, and Miranda.
- Example sentences
- Rather, he claims that the text is ‘not a seamless whole, but… the product of much redactional activity’.
- Because of the focus on the text as it stands, discussion of redactional and compositional issues is minimal.
- Similarly, appeals to either form critical or redactional studies have not won a consensus.
Words that rhyme with redactionabstraction, action, attraction, benefaction, compaction, contraction, counteraction, diffraction, enaction, exaction, extraction, faction, fraction, interaction, liquefaction, malefaction, petrifaction, proaction, protraction, putrefaction, retroaction, satisfaction, stupefaction, subtraction, traction, transaction, tumefaction, vitrifaction
Definition of redaction in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan