Definition of redcoat in English:
1 historical A British soldier.
- The buccaneer fought the King's soldiers for many a year until a large force of redcoats stormed his redoubt.
- This weekend, Fort Paull Visitor Centre and Armouries, near Hedon, will re-enact the skirmishes of 1780 with a full cast of cavalry, redcoats and naval gunners.
- The redcoats fell as they ran, musket fire and cannon booms sweeping out the men successfully.
2(In the UK) an organizer and entertainer at a Butlin’s holiday camp.
- But ironically the family's decision to opt for Majorca the following year had nothing to do with the quality of the redcoats ' entertainment or even the shared toilet blocks.
- But there are still redcoats organising singalongs and tea.
- The redcoats organise loads of play activities and evening entertainment.
Definition of redcoat in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia