Definition of redcurrant in English:
1A small, sweet red berry, chiefly used to make a jelly eaten as an accompaniment to cold meats.
- For dessert I chose hot berries - a wonderful combination of blackberries, strawberries and redcurrants mixed in a Cointreau sauce and poured into a tall glass, topped with a blob of vanilla ice-cream.
- And as Georgia, clutching a plastic punnet, tugs on her mother's sleeve and begs her to accompany her to the redcurrants, it's clear that the most enthusiastic fruit-pickers live on-site.
- Get some robust, artisan bread, like a sourdough, then go wild on the fruit: blackberries, blueberries, redcurrants, raspberries, wild strawberries - again, it doesn't matter what.
2The shrub which produces the redcurrant, related to the blackcurrant.
- Ribes rubrum, family Grossulariaceae
- In season, raspberries, strawberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants and brambles run riot across Scotland.
- Now is a good time for pruning soft fruit bushes, such as whitecurrants, redcurrants, gooseberries, blackcurrants and briar fruits.
- The gooseberries are usually placed in genus Ribes, along with their near cousins, the blackcurrants and redcurrants.
Definition of redcurrant in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan