noun (plural same or redfishes)
1A bright red edible marine fish, in particular:
- ● A North Atlantic rockfish (genus Sebastes, family Scorpaenidae, in particular the commercially important S. marinus). ● The red drum of the western Atlantic, popular as a game fish (Sciaenops ocellatus, family Sciaenidae). ● A bottom-dwelling Australian fish (Centroberyx affinis, family Berycidae). Also called nannygai
More example sentences
- I arrived at Mosquito Lagoon to fish for the redfish.
- The saltwater river harbors prized snook, trout, largemouth bass, redfish, and even tarpon.
- Species that are usually caught near the ocean's bottom, including cod, haddock, pollock, redfish, halibut, flounder, and other species.
Definition of redfish in:
- The US English dictionary