Definition of redingote in English:
1A woman’s long coat with a cutaway or contrasting front.
- He sent out a model wearing a denim redingote coat over an indigo lace petticoat - and he is such a skilled designer you don't really see a price difference between the two pieces.
- The couture-like short coat with three-quarter-length sleeves made a noteworthy comeback, together with redingotes, lamb chop sleeves optional.
- The redingote is an indispensable feature in the coat segment.
1.1A man’s double-breasted topcoat with a full skirt.
- The laughter begins slowly at the bottom of the orchestra pit and wells gradually toward the back; it seems to say it's OK not to be counted, you'll belong eventually even if you're not wearing the right armband or redingote.
- Instead, he's donning a frail redingote that drifts like an extravagant bridal tress.
Late 18th century: French, from English riding coat.
Words that rhyme with redingotescapegoat • nanny goat
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.