Definition of redstart in English:
1A Eurasian and North African songbird related to the chats, having a reddish tail and underparts.
- Phoenicurus and other genera, family Turdidae: several species
- By birds I don't mean panhandling pigeons, but self-supporting warblers, wheatears, grosbeaks, ducks, thrushes, egrets, pheasants, finches, redstarts, hawks, swallows, wagtails, owls, the list goes on.
- There was also lots of other great wildlife to see in the area around Malham Cove including nesting little owls, green woodpeckers and redstarts.
- Such cavities may later be occupied by great, blue or marsh tits or by redstarts.
2An American warbler, the male of which is black with either a red belly or orange markings.
- Genera Setophaga and Myioborus, family Parulidae: several species
- A typical farming village in this region attracts tree sparrows, black redstarts, gray partridge, skylarks, and hen harriers.
- On rare occasions, birds such as American redstarts, hooded warblers, and black-throated blue warblers engage in polygyny.
- Over the three year study period, mangrove sites contained an average 60% male and 40% female redstarts, whereas scrub had an average of 24% male and 76% female redstarts.
Definition of redstart in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.