Definition of redstart in English:
1A Eurasian and North African songbird related to the chats, having a reddish tail and underparts.
- Phoenicurus and other genera, family Turdidae: several species
- By birds I don't mean panhandling pigeons, but self-supporting warblers, wheatears, grosbeaks, ducks, thrushes, egrets, pheasants, finches, redstarts, hawks, swallows, wagtails, owls, the list goes on.
- There was also lots of other great wildlife to see in the area around Malham Cove including nesting little owls, green woodpeckers and redstarts.
- Such cavities may later be occupied by great, blue or marsh tits or by redstarts.
2An American warbler, the male of which is black with either a red belly or orange markings.
- Genera Setophaga and Myioborus, family Parulidae: several species
- A typical farming village in this region attracts tree sparrows, black redstarts, gray partridge, skylarks, and hen harriers.
- On rare occasions, birds such as American redstarts, hooded warblers, and black-throated blue warblers engage in polygyny.
- Over the three year study period, mangrove sites contained an average 60% male and 40% female redstarts, whereas scrub had an average of 24% male and 76% female redstarts.
Definition of redstart in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan