1A small migratory thrush that breeds mainly in northern Europe, with red underwings showing in flight.
- Turdus iliacus, family Turdidae.
- The list was impressive and included robins, starlings, a goldfinch, blackbirds, redwings, chaffinches, wood pigeons and black-headed gulls.
- A combination of prominent creamy-white eyestripe and rusty-red flanks and underwings makes the redwing unmistakable.
- The redwing, fieldfare and blackbirds are all involved in serious territorial swoops between trees.
2Any of a number of red-winged birds, especially the American red-winged blackbird.
- Several species, in particular Agelaius phoeniceus, family Icteridae.
- The whole backyard gang composed of those mentioned above, plus house finches, chickadees, goldfinches, titmice, grackles, redwings, and blue jays start around 5 pm with their bedtime snacks.
- I'll go down to the ditch later while she's napping and continue to play hide and seek with the redwing and other birds through my camera lens on this, the first day of the third year of our new lives.
- I just had a flock of thirty redwings land in my frozen backyard.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: red|wing
Definition of redwing in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.