Definition of redwing in English:
1A small migratory thrush that breeds mainly in northern Europe, with red underwings showing in flight.
- Turdus iliacus, family Turdidae
- The list was impressive and included robins, starlings, a goldfinch, blackbirds, redwings, chaffinches, wood pigeons and black-headed gulls.
- A combination of prominent creamy-white eyestripe and rusty-red flanks and underwings makes the redwing unmistakable.
- The redwing, fieldfare and blackbirds are all involved in serious territorial swoops between trees.
2Any of a number of red-winged birds, especially the American red-winged blackbird.
- Several species, in particular Agelaius phoeniceus, family Icteridae
- The whole backyard gang composed of those mentioned above, plus house finches, chickadees, goldfinches, titmice, grackles, redwings, and blue jays start around 5 pm with their bedtime snacks.
- I'll go down to the ditch later while she's napping and continue to play hide and seek with the redwing and other birds through my camera lens on this, the first day of the third year of our new lives.
- I just had a flock of thirty redwings land in my frozen backyard.
Words that rhyme with redwingbatwing • lacewing
Definition of redwing in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan