1Either of two giant conifers with thick fibrous bark, native to California and Oregon. They are the tallest known trees and are among the largest living organisms.
- Two species in the family Taxodiaceae: the California (or coast) redwood (Sequoia sempervirens), which can grow to a height of circa 110 m (328 ft), and the giant redwood, giant sequoia, wellingtonia, or big tree (Sequoiadendron giganteum), which can reach a trunk diameter of 11 m (36 ft)
More example sentences
- The nursery offers other conifers, including Colorado blue spruce, deodar cedar, Douglas fir, and coast redwood.
- Among the towering redwoods rise clumps of native trees.
- It is just off the main route to the Redwood Park, home of the famed giant redwood trees that rise up to 367 feet and can live for more than 2,000 years.
Definition of redwood in:
- The US English dictionary