A marine organism, especially a coral, which builds reefs.
- The calcareous algae, stromatoporoids, tabulate corals, and rugose corals became conspicuous reef-builders throughout the tropical seas.
- They were rarely reef-builders as modern corals are.
- However, the publication of monographs by Marius Lecompte, Jesse Galloway and by Galloway and Joseph St. Jean increased interest in the classification, paleoecology, and nature of these reef-builders.
- Example sentences
- I've been looking at how seawater warming events have influenced the types of algal symbionts that are found inside reef-building corals.
- The Barrier Reef is a mix of two island forms: continental islands and the true coral islands that grow from the reef-building activities of corals.
- This ecosystem is a diverse habitat for marine creatures, with around 600 types of reef-building corals and more than 2,000 kinds of coral reefs.
Definition of reef-builder in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.