1.1 [mass noun] Cannabis.
- Among a couple of hundred slang names for marijuana, some of the most common are: pot, weed, reefer, grass, dope, joint, seed, tea and Texas tea.
- Unfortunately, at 14, Michael was interested in smoking reefer, petty larceny, hookers, LSD and basketball.
- Terms from years ago, such as pot, herb, grass, weed, Mary Jane and reefer, are still used.
1930s: perhaps related to Mexican Spanish grifo '(smoker of) cannabis'.
Words that rhyme with reeferfeoffor
2.1 nautical slang, archaic A midshipman.
A refrigerated lorry, railway wagon, or ship.
- Behind the locomotive is a reefer (refrigerator car) to supply ice for drinking water in the sleepers.
- Crews in Salinas would load a modified boxcar, a reefer, with cartons of lettuce and crushed ice.
- At times, the Idaho Falls yard is a sea of reefers and covered hoppers.
Early 20th century: abbreviation.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.