- 1An official who watches a game or match closely to ensure that the rules are adhered to and (in some sports) to arbitrate on matters arising from the play: the referee sent off two French playersMore example sentences
- During the match assistant referee Andrew Halliday was felled by a hurled coin and bottles were thrown.
- He has served as an ICC match referee and is a past chief executive of the Pakistan Cricket Board.
- The results have been positive with one of our assistant referees officiating in the last World Cup tournament in France.
- 2British A person willing to testify in writing about the character or ability of someone, especially an applicant for a job: the subject of a bad reference can sue the referee for libelMore example sentences
- While other character referees chose to scurry straight out of court or only give written statements, Andrew Vizard sat next to his brother before and after his evidence.
- The paper also claimed that Ron Walker and Eddie McGuire have declined to be character referees in court on Thursday.
- The line-up of character referees in the Federal Court on 21 February will be interesting to watch.
- 2.1A person appointed to examine and assess for publication a scientific or other academic work: most journals send the referees' reports to the authorMore example sentences
- We are all familiar with how journal editors can select referees to get the reports they want.
- We acknowledge the very important role of the many men and women who agree to serve as academic referees for the manuscripts submitted to Sociology of Religion.
- Connor said that the referees were against publication.
verb (referees, refereeing, refereed)[with object] Back to top
- Act as the referee of: he refereed two of the first-round group matches (as noun refereeing) erratic and inconsistent refereeingMore example sentences
- The coach also pinpointed a double refereeing error shortly after the interval as a significant factor in the outcome.
- I'm lucky because the more you referee games and the more players get used to your face and your style of refereeing the better it is.
- Andy is a strong character and he will come through this but my worry is the impact this will have on refereeing recruitment.