Definition of referral in English:
1An act of referring someone or something for consultation, review, or further action.
- Peters and Wade reviewed 2038 referrals to the Auckland Court Liaison Service over a two year period.
- Initial referral to a review pharmacist included a copy of the patient's discharge letter.
- As the previous speaker has said, National supports this legislation and its referral to the Regulations Review Committee.
1.1 [mass noun] The directing of a patient to a medical specialist by a GP.
- No effect of referral from medical or social service providers was detected.
- We selected patients by examining all referral letters to the hospital's gastroenterology outpatient clinics and open access endoscopy service.
- Your most important task is to detect potentially serious ocular presentations for immediate referral of the patient to an ophthalmologist and treatment.
1.2A person whose case has been referred to a specialist doctor or a professional body.
- Botha says the centre gets lots of referrals from doctors and physiotherapists.
- Now I get referrals from medical doctors who have seen their patients lose weight or quit smoking.
- The authority is now receiving about 80 referrals a quarter, including doctors working in primary care.
Words that rhyme with referralconferral, deferral, transferral
Definition of referral in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.