- 1Remove impurities or unwanted elements from (a substance), typically as part of an industrial process: sugar was refined by boiling it in huge iron vatsMore example sentences
- The process gradually refines the steel - compacting the grain while adjusting the carbon content.
- Mineral extraction is important: crude oil is refined and exported, there are large coal, tin, and iron ore deposits, and China leads the world in tungsten ore production.
- When oil is refined this reaction is used to remove unwanted alkenes.
- 1.1Make minor changes so as to improve or clarify (a theory or method): ease of access to computers has refined analysis and presentation of dataMore example sentences
- The premise is correct: there has been progress; theories are refined, generalised, clarified, simplified, and perfected.
- We then used the results of our analysis to refine the original theory and to add to the literature in new ways.
- The course materials and the presentation methods were progressively refined for each course.
- More example sentences
- The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission today released a report supporting the petrol discounting arrangements between oil refiners and supermarkets.
- The shortfall has limited refiners ' ability to build up US heating oil stocks, which at 50 million barrels are 10 per cent below last year, weekly government data showed last week.
- The Prime Minister and his Deputy met representatives of Australia's four major oil refiners in Sydney today to discuss how they'll reach the government's biofuels target.