noun (plural refugia /-dʒɪə/)Biology
- An area in which a population of organisms can survive through a period of unfavourable conditions, especially glaciation.More example sentences
- During the Quaternary glaciations, cork oak may have survived in scattered refugia which possessed favourable microclimate conditions, and from which post-glacial colonization occurred over recent millennia.
- We suggest that the shallow epicratonic platform area of the Canadian Shield may have served as a refugium for relatively archaic taxa.
- The authors hypothesized their common origin from an Atlantic refugium after the last glaciation.
1950s: from Latin, literally 'place of refuge'.
More definitions of refugiumDefinition of refugium in:
- The US English dictionary