noun[mass noun] Geology
- The layer of unconsolidated solid material covering the bedrock of a planet.More example sentences
- The surface of the Moon is covered by a soil layer called regolith, which has been produced by meteorite impact.
- Alteration of the bedrock produces a regolith, the base of which is known as the weathering front.
- The Moon's crust is composed of a material known as regolith.
late 19th century: from Greek rhēgos 'rug, blanket' + -lith.
More definitions of regolithDefinition of regolith in:
- The US English dictionary