noun (plural same or reindeers)
A deer of the tundra and subarctic regions of Eurasia and North America, both sexes of which have large branching antlers. Most Eurasian reindeer are domesticated and used for drawing sledges and as a source of milk, flesh, and hide. Called caribou in North America.
- Rangifer tarandus, family Cervidae
More example sentences
- Because you are travelling so quietly, there's some great opportunities to spot elks/moose, reindeers or other Swedish wild animals.
- There will also be reindeers and sledge dogs, penguins and seals to give a ‘feel’ of Antartica.
- Female reindeer retain their antlers until after they give birth in the spring.
late Middle English: from Old Norse hreindýri, from hreinn 'reindeer' + dýr 'deer'.
More definitions of reindeerDefinition of reindeer in:
- The US English dictionary