A large branching bluish-grey lichen which grows in arctic and subarctic regions, sometimes providing the chief winter food of reindeer.
- Cladonia rangiferina, order Cladoniales
More example sentences
- There he purchased a large quantity of reindeer moss from the farmers in the nearby area.
- The two lichens of economic importance are Iceland moss, Cetraria islandica, and reindeer moss, Cladonia rangiferina.
- When the weather's fine there's excellent walking on a network of inland tracks that climb past peat-dark lakes through cloudberries, bilberries, saxifrage and reindeer moss, with eagles above and the occasional moose up ahead.
Definition of reindeer moss in:
- The US English dictionary