Definition of relativism in English:
The doctrine that knowledge, truth, and morality exist in relation to culture, society, or historical context, and are not absolute.
- However, the distinction here is between absolutism and relativism, not between absolutism and relationalism.
- However, relativism is a philosophical doctrine that goes far beyond such obvious facts.
- Wittgenstein sometimes appears to be committed to cognitive relativism as just described.
- Example sentences
- Cognitive relativists do not simply assert that different cultures or communities have different views about which beliefs are true; no-one disputes that.
- In this respect, the relativist is like the philosophical sceptic.
- Perhaps because relativism is associated with such views, few philosophers are willing to describe themselves as relativists.
Definition of relativism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India