Definition of relentless in English:
1Unceasingly intense: the relentless heat of the desert
More example sentences
- More in the crowd ask for food and water as the sun continues to cover the area with relentless heat.
- Success follows relentless pursuit of something you absolutely believe in.
- So he searched, and sought shelter from this relentless heat, bearing in mind the past.
persistent, continuing, constant, continual, continuous, non-stop, lasting, never-ending, steady, uninterrupted, unabated, unabating, unbroken, interminable, incessant, unstoppable, unceasing, endless, unending, perpetual, unremitting, unrelenting, unrelieved, sustained;
unfaltering, unflagging, untiring, unwavering, unswerving, undeviating, persevering, determined, resolute, purposeful, dogged, single-minded, tireless, indefatigable, patient, diligent, assiduous, sedulous, tenacious, pertinacious, insistent, importunate;
stubborn, intransigent, obstinate, obdurate
1.1Harsh or inflexible: a patient but relentless taskmaster
More example sentences
- Instead he plays figurehead to perfection, based on a huge, relentless and ruthless spin team.
- But he's ruthless and relentless, and you always think that there might be a point in a Hollywood movie that he will draw back.
- He was relentless, some said ruthless, and it made him one of the toughest prosecutors in the state.
harsh, grim, fierce, cruel, severe, strict, punishing, remorseless, merciless, pitiless, ruthless, unmerciful, unsparing, heartless, hard-hearted, hard, stony-hearted, stony, with a heart of stone, cold-blooded, cold-hearted, unforgiving, unfeeling, uncaring, unsympathetic, uncharitable, lacking compassion, unpitying;
- Example sentences
- And since ‘regimes’ have more power and relentlessness than a typical person ever does, the response is always likely to be out of proportion to the alleged offence, even if the offence was real.
- At the very end, one's answers to the questions the world has posed with such relentlessness are to be found in the facts of one's life.
- It is the relentlessness and the variety of the procedures available that helps the current preoccupation with beauty - both male and female - to proliferate.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.