Definition of religiose in English:
- The outer acts are swift and urgent, transcendental but never religiose.
- Yet although Billings was never religiose, the fact that his merry music is dedicated to his God seems to have kept it pristine: whereas the work of the earliest secular composer Broyles examines is mainly of documentary interest.
- Of course, a reader doesn't have to accept the essays' religiose atmospherics or fabulist presumption to be affected by Berger's tone.
mid 19th century: from Latin religiosus, from religio 'reverence, obligation'.
- Example sentences
- Her way of characterising New Age religion indicates a view of modern religiosity as spiritual decline.
- Lately, however, methods have been developed to assess religiosity and spiritual beliefs.
- A female grad student reading a book on mysticism stirs his latent religiosity (and inspires a decision to give up blood sports).
Definition of religiose in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia