- 1The parts left over after other parts have been removed, used, or destroyed: the remains of a sandwich lunch were on the tableMore example sentences
- The point is that the industrial remains should be removed, the dunes rehabilitated and the rocks carted away so as to create more space for the public to enjoy.
- Lou, behind us, they have floodlit the almost destroyed remains of the front of the U.N. headquarters.
- A young, female arm slipped round from behind him and removed the dissected remains of what was some kind of fish dish.
- 1.1Historical or archaeological relics: Roman remainsMore example sentences
- The discovery emphasises the risk to archaeological remains in ploughsoil.
- What is less obvious is the effect that coastal processes have on archaeological remains.
- Archaeological remains have been found of altars, Harappan script and crafts.
- 1.2A person’s body after death: he left instructions regarding the disposal of his remainsMore example sentences
- But we seem to ignore their death and disrespect their remains.
- There's a very slim chance they could determine cause of death from these remains.
- The site was originally designed to hold Emperor Hadrian's remains following his death in AD 138.
late Middle English (occasionally treated as singular): from Old French remain, from remaindre, from an informal form of Latin remanere (see remain).