- With the arrival of the Sforza in the mid-15th century, Milan began to develop a Renaissance style, at times directly imported from Tuscany.
- Christ stands under a Renaissance arcade with all'antica design and offers the host to his Apostles.
- The game includes a deck of 30 museum-quality playing cards and a full-color, 80-page art book, packaged in a Renaissance treasure box.
- These little plastic freaks have achieved quite a renaissance on the Web, with almost a dozen pages devoted to them.
- As a result of the Spanish Muslim impact, Tunisia experienced a renaissance in all forms of art.
- Over the past decade we have enjoyed a renaissance in the appreciation of historic performances.
The Renaissance is generally regarded as beginning in Florence, where there was a revival of interest in classical antiquity. Important early figures are the writers Petrarch, Dante, and Boccaccio and the painter Giotto. Music flourished, from madrigals to the polyphonic masses of Palestrina, with a wide variety of instruments such as viols and lutes. The period from the end of the 15th century has become known as the High Renaissance, when Venice and Rome began to share Florence’s importance and Raphael, Leonardo da Vinci, and Michelangelo were active. Renaissance thinking spread to the rest of Europe from the early 16th century, and was influential for the next hundred years
From French renaissance, from re- 'back, again' + naissance 'birth' (from Latin nascentia, from nasci 'be born').
The Renaissance of the 14th to 16th centuries was literally a ‘rebirth’ of culture after what was regarded as the uncivilized period of the Middle Ages. It began in Florence, where there was a revival of interest in classical antiquity, and spread to Venice, Rome, and then throughout Europe. Renaissance is a French word derived from Latin nasci ‘to be born’ ( see nation), which was not used in English until the 1840s—before that it was known as the Revival of Learning. A Renaissance man has many talents and interests, like the great Renaissance figure Leonardo da Vinci, who was a notable painter, scientist, inventor, and engineer. An ideal gentleman of the time was expected to have many accomplishments and a broad education in both the arts and the sciences.
Words that rhyme with Renaissanceobeisance
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Re|nais¦sance
Definition of Renaissance in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.