- 1(Of a contract, agreement, etc.) capable of being renewed: we are on renewable annual contractsMore example sentences
- Faculty members who are hired to fill a tenure-track position are typically hired at the assistant professor level on a three-year renewable contract.
- While he had a renewable agreement to stage the race in Telluride again, it would be moving on, given the locals' angsty response.
- The contract is renewable for two additional years.
- 2(Of a natural resource or source of energy) not depleted when used: a shift away from fossil fuels to renewable energyMore example sentences
- The centerpiece is a new law stating that all investor-owned electrical utilities in the state must generate 10 percent of their energy from renewable sources by 2011.
- If you're willing to put solar panels on your roof or a hybrid car in your driveway, you may be eligible for tax incentives and rebates on renewable sources of energy and related technologies.
- There's no doubt that wind and solar are clean, efficient and renewable sources of energy, but not everyone welcomes an alternative power project in their backyard.
noun(usually renewables) Back to top
- A natural resource or source of energy that is not depleted by use, such as water, wind, or solar power: production costs for the renewables are higher than for coal, oil, or gasMore example sentences
- Who will drive the market growth and cost reduction of renewable energy sources, and how will energy storage for intermittent renewables like solar and wind be solved?
- This sustainable gas can be generated locally via renewables like wind, biomass or solar power, but it could also be a new product for our large-scale, centralized oil and nuclear power industries.
- Cheap and falling fuel prices, certainly in terms of fuelling power stations, have led to unnecessary inefficiencies of energy use and to fewer wind machines and other renewables getting off the ground than anticipated 10 years ago.
- More example sentences
- Efficiency like that could give renewability a bad name.
- Sustainability is not synonymous with renewability but it is strongly linked to it.
- Their renewability and relative ease of processing reduce environmental impact.
More definitions of renewableDefinition of renewable in:
- The US English dictionary