noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- An enzyme secreted by and stored in the kidneys which promotes the production of the protein angiotensin.More example sentences
- The greatest cause is probably due to lower production of hormones such as renin, angiotensin and aldosterone, caused by the increased stress (these hormones assist the body in retaining fluid).
- All these changes act directly or indirectly as stimuli for the release of the enzyme renin in the kidneys, triggering a sequence of chemical events in the blood of which the end product is angiotensin II.
- By causing volume and sodium depletion, thiazide diuretics stimulate the production of renin and angiotensin.
late 19th century: from Latin ren 'kidney' + -in1.
More definitions of reninDefinition of renin in:
- The US English dictionary