Definition of repeating in English:
1(Of a firearm) capable of firing several shots in succession without reloading.
- A man firing a repeating rifle faces a man wielding a sword.
- Lockhart's sidekick Charley, a half-Apache, has gone to question his relatives about the repeating rifles being sold to them in the area.
- The columns shift in a laterally repeating rainbow sequence of 50 colors taken from an ink-marker assortment on a white ground.
2(Of a pattern) recurring uniformly over a surface.
- They are designed to be cut at regular intervals (often indicated by a vertical row of a small scissors included in the repeating pattern), resulting in scarves of a standard size.
- Various framing devices - decorative elements or fan shapes - set off the central images, and repeating patterns often give the effect of looking through a kaleidoscope.
- What seems a random pattern of painstakingly rendered cuts in the paper is in fact a nine-times repeating pattern made from a rubber matrix print containing the Pollock-like marks.
Definition of repeating in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan