Containing or characterized by repetition, especially when unnecessary or tiresome: a repetitive task
More example sentences
- The gameplay can also be, I'm afraid to say, boring and repetitive.
- To say that the medium is inherently boring, repetitive, or juvenile is some straight up ignorance.
- The attritional, repetitive routine of the strike is draining just to read about.
monotonous, tedious, boring, uninteresting, humdrum, mundane, tiresome, wearisome, dreary, soul-destroying, mind-numbing;
unvaried, unchanging, unvarying, undiversified, lacking variety, recurrent, recurring, repeated, repetitious, routine, mechanical, automatic, clockwork
British informal samey
- Example sentences
- It looks as though he's strumming without a pick, and part of the pleasure of watching him slam his hand repetitively against the strings is wondering how it's possible that he hasn't cut his whole forearm to shreds.
- The house had echoed with noise, with children crying, with people walking in the corridors outside, with murmurs and tremors, with the creak of the bunk beds, and the neon lights had been turned off and on repetitively.
- Each argument is put lucidly though sometimes repetitively.
- Example sentences
- On one level, these floral landscapes work as successful proponents of the decorative style with their flatness, lyrical repetitiveness and use of ornamental devices.
- Cohen recently emerged from a five-year apprenticeship at Mt. Baldy Zen Center in Southern California, where the repetitiveness of daily menial tasks taught him humility and focused his mind.
- Eventually, the film implodes under the burden of its repetitiveness, so that by the time we reach the end we feel like we've seen half the planet's population in the altogether.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: re|peti|tive
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.