- 1A state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch.More example sentences
- That was a nice long discussion, comparing monarchies, democracies, republics, oligarchies, and all the different systems of government there were.
- It left slavery untouched until the Civil War but it put in place a representative republic with basic rights for its citizens.
- To recognize the rights of various nations the Soviets endorsed policies aimed at establishing independent republics for each nationality within the Union of Soviet Socialist Republic.
late 16th century: from French république, from Latin respublica, from res 'entity, concern' + publicus 'of the people, public'.
More definitions of republicDefinition of republic in:
- The US English dictionary