Definition of repugnant in English:
1Extremely distasteful; unacceptable: cannibalism seems repugnant to us
More example sentences
- All the countries of the world will hopefully come together to find a way to fight this sort of terrorism, which is repugnant to all reasonable people.
- Mainly because some of what those who don't like the paintings find repugnant is repugnant to me too.
- The whole idea of anyone acting as judge, jury and executioner is totally repugnant to a civilized society.
abhorrent, revolting, repulsive, repellent, disgusting, offensive, objectionable, vile, foul, nasty, loathsome, sickening, nauseating, nauseous, hateful, detestable, execrable, abominable, monstrous, appalling, reprehensible, deplorable, insufferable, intolerable, unacceptable, despicable, contemptible, beyond the pale, unspeakable, noxious, obscene, base, hideous, grisly, gruesome, horrendous, heinous, atrocious, awful, terrible, dreadful, frightful, obnoxious, unsavoury, unpalatable, unpleasant, disagreeable, distasteful, dislikeable, off-putting, displeasing
British informal beastly
North American informal skanky
2 (repugnant to) In conflict or incompatible with: a by-law must not be repugnant to the general law of the country
More example sentences
- What's repugnant to justice is the attitude that some people should be denied it, no matter what is done to them.
- The radio host has been suspended for two weeks following what he himself calls ‘repugnant, repulsive and horrible’ remarks.
2.1 archaic Given to stubborn resistance.
- Example sentences
- If you find this sort of thing revolting and repugnantly narcissistic, you are small-minded and stupid.
- Like the 30-year-old original, it's truly horrific - a portrait that's relentlessly dark, repugnantly graphic, and hopelessly evil.
- A community sullies itself by keeping alive certain people who have acted in such a repugnantly depraved and murderous fashion as to degrade the human species through their membership in it.
Words that rhyme with repugnantoppugnant
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan