1Arousing intense distaste or disgust: a repulsive smell
More example sentences
- It is perhaps the most disgusting, grotesque and repulsive thing ever shown on television.
- Cronenberg fashions a remake of the cheesy 1958 original that is by turns funny, poignant, repulsive, and intense.
- They've all done things that are repulsive and disgusting, and each one is probably haunted by that.
revolting, disgusting, abhorrent, repellent, repugnant, offensive, objectionable, vile, foul, nasty, loathsome, sickening, nauseating, stomach-churning, stomach-turning, hateful, detestable, execrable, abominable, monstrous, appalling, reprehensible, deplorable, insufferable, intolerable, despicable, contemptible, beyond the pale, unspeakable, noxious, horrendous, heinous, atrocious, awful, terrible, dreadful, frightful, obnoxious, unsavoury, unpleasant, disagreeable, distasteful, dislikeable, off-putting, uninviting, displeasing;
ugly, as ugly as sin, hideous, grotesque, gruesome, unsightly, reptilian;
North American vomitous
informal ghastly, horrible, horrid, God-awful, gross, putrid, sick-making, sick, yucky, icky, fugly
British informal beastly
Northern Irish informal bogging
North American informal skanky
New Zealand informal huckery
archaic disgustful, scurvy, loathly
- Example sentences
- The judge told Wilson he behaved repulsively by taking the man's money knowing that he would be unable to pay it back.
- The weather is getting repulsively hot today.
- Gabrielle paused and looked at me shrewdly and repulsively.
- Example sentences
- In proportion as the repulsiveness of the work increases, the wage decreases.
- Here's our short ten worst list, in order of repulsiveness.
- Their repulsiveness was part of their glamour.
Words that rhyme with repulsivecompulsive, convulsive, impulsive, propulsive
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.