1Arousing intense distaste or disgust: a repulsive smell
More example sentences
- It is perhaps the most disgusting, grotesque and repulsive thing ever shown on television.
- Cronenberg fashions a remake of the cheesy 1958 original that is by turns funny, poignant, repulsive, and intense.
- They've all done things that are repulsive and disgusting, and each one is probably haunted by that.
revolting, disgusting, abhorrent, repellent, repugnant, offensive, objectionable, vile, foul, nasty, loathsome, sickening, nauseating, stomach-churning, stomach-turning, hateful, detestable, execrable, abominable, monstrous, appalling, reprehensible, deplorable, insufferable, intolerable, despicable, contemptible, beyond the pale, unspeakable, noxious, horrendous, heinous, atrocious, awful, terrible, dreadful, frightful, obnoxious, unsavoury, unpleasant, disagreeable, distasteful, dislikeable, off-putting, uninviting, displeasing;
ugly, as ugly as sin, hideous, grotesque, gruesome, unsightly, reptilian;
North American vomitous
informal ghastly, horrible, horrid, God-awful, gross, putrid, sick-making, sick, yucky, icky, fugly
British informal beastly
Northern Irish informal bogging
North American informal skanky
New Zealand informal huckery
archaic disgustful, scurvy, loathly
- Example sentences
- The judge told Wilson he behaved repulsively by taking the man's money knowing that he would be unable to pay it back.
- The weather is getting repulsively hot today.
- Gabrielle paused and looked at me shrewdly and repulsively.
- Example sentences
- In proportion as the repulsiveness of the work increases, the wage decreases.
- Here's our short ten worst list, in order of repulsiveness.
- Their repulsiveness was part of their glamour.
Words that rhyme with repulsivecompulsive, convulsive, impulsive, propulsive
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: re|pul¦sive
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.